Sunday, June 30, 2024

JUST ANOTHER FRIDAY...

"Ask and it will be given to you. Seek and you will find. Knock and the door will be opened to you..." - Matt 7: 7-14

I can see like it was yesterday.  Just another Friday. Like it always   was and always will be. I see her standing by the Eaton’s elevator in her dove grey uniform.  Charcoal stockings and high heeled black pumps, straightening her tidy grey jacket with the shiny name plate. Spotless grey gloves protecting  her hands during work hours. 

And her hair. That magnificent  hair.  Marge Simpson would be jealous. That hair, piled curl upon curl, as high as a beehive. Aptly named. Each curl perfectly aligned with each other, sprayed within an inch of their lives. She carried a can of hair spray in her bag for touch ups.

 She got it done every Friday before starting work.  I would see her pat at the spit curls, placed  just so, over her temples where gently throbbed   her heart. 

Her final touch would be to paint her lips luscious rose red, check her teeth for wayward lipstick and pop in a piece of fresh mint gum and chew it like mad, before  discarding it in the garbage bin, outside the door of the elevator. Then she was all set  for the customers.

 “Ready for anything and anyone”, she told me.

She showed me how to run the elevator. Much to my glee I could go fast or slow, as I wished. I always wished to go fast; can’t say the shoppers, hanging on for dear life,  were that happy..  She told them I was “in training” , even though was only about nine or ten.  I got better at it, after a couple of years.

She’d buy us ice cream  on her break, and we would talk about  this and that, while we waited for my mother to finish her shopping in Eaton’s. Most Fridays, I hoped my mother would forget to come and get me.

On just another Friday like that, there was a slow spell. No customers around.  We lounged  at the  open door by the cafeteria. She talked about how when she retired they would like drive a motorhome and travel around. See the sights.  I sat on one of the orange cafeteria chairs and listened to her. She  just handed me an ice cream cone,  when THEY showed up. 

Two young teenage boys happily chasing,  jumping and carrying on, barging around the corner.   She  came out of her reverie and shouted “HEY!” at them.

They stopped dead in their tracks. She put  her hands on her hips and glared. Demanded to know what they were doing. They shuffled back and forth, suddenly  quiet.

“Nothin’,” came the faint reply from one boy.

“You’re what??” She asked again .

“Nothin’. Just nothin’.” Shifting from side to side,  while she eyed them. She demanded to know what they were doing there alone.

“Ummmm, we’re with Dad. He’s  in the bargain basement…” they pointed off in the distance.

“Then why are you here?”

“Ummm. We were doing homework,” was their offering.

“You were doing your homework..” She repeated  back to them with folded arms.

“Ummm. Yes…”  Wishing the earth would swallow them up.

“Did you finish it?”

“Ummmmmmm. Well. We kinda wanted to come  buy stuff for our project.”

“ Buy stuff?”

“Ye, ma’am…” the boys wobbled on their feet.

“Then you’d better get going. NO running.  Walk.”

“Yes ma’am”. They  squirmed under her gaze.

Scrambling to get out of there, only looking back once, they got to the tunnel leading to the bargain centre. Assured she couldn’t see them, they ran like the wind had given chase.

She  shook her head and patted her spit curls. “If I get home and that homework isn’t done….” She said . “ Yes, those two are mine.  Wait till I speak to their father …buying stuff. Like we need more stuff…..” She sprayed her hair  a tad.

And then I understood.  She grinned. We laughed and laughed that Friday. The customers showed up, finally, in droves. We rode up and down, and down and up. I told her one day I wanted to be just like her. I wanted her job. Where would I apply? I asked her. Too funny.

 It was the one and only time I saw her boys. And as the years went by I lost touch with her. Never thought I would see her again. Til one day I came across her son's name once more.  I recognized him immediately.  Contacted him. I asked after her.  After 40 years,  would she  remember me. She did. And I remembered her.. 

  All I had to do was ask.. You never know how blessed you will be. No regrets. No what ifs or should haves. You search and you will find. 

 We took up where we left off and it’s been a grand twenty years.
I still see Lorraine standing there. In my mind’s eye. My elevator lady. With wise words. With so much more.    
Happy in each other’s company.  Just because.......
Photographs 2024 :    " Langford Lake, B.C."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment