Monday, June 24, 2013

LEDGER 1938-1941

 This week I finally fiished scanning the old ledger my mum kept from 1938-1941.  They were married in 1936, so she only kept one for a few years. There must be 42 pages in total. These are only a few.  I think it's amazing to see how medical expenses  seemed to take up a lot of their paycheck.
 And no matter how the month was going , there always seemed to be a few dollars for a new outfit, or a small trip. Seattle seems to be a recurring theme. In another ledger I noticed Seattle cost $7.00...sometimes $15.00 for a weekend, depending on wether or not they went to a show.
 Rent never seemed to change. $15.00 for a small apt on Cook Stree in Victoria.
 Then by 1941 things got decidely more difficult. No pay and no work coming in for a while. My dad had to have numerous operations for various maladies. But by the end of 1941 they went back to Bethune, Saskatchewan for another visit. Just so happy to be with family. Her writing was even happy. They had nothing and yet they had everything. I like the part where they spent $350 on 2 trips home...they were content.
                                                            1941 Bethune. My dad. Davey.
                                                          Spring. 1941.
                                                        November 1941

No comments:

Post a Comment