Thursday, November 20, 2014

Ready, Set, Go Christmas

 Ohhhh, I love Christmas. The one time of year, you can stuff the mantlepiece with candles and  Nutcrackers and watch them clack their mouths  open in surprise.

 The cats flop genrously by the fire.  The other one's watching birds from the window.  But these two know a good thing when they see it. Ahhhhhhh, now this is the life...
  Cookie cutters dangle happily from the front window. A few years ago I was leafing through a Christmas magazine and saw how they spread out all their cutters from a light fixture. Why not from a window? I don't make  cut out cookies much, and I've go sooo many, so this is a great alternative. Some of these are very old, some are fairly new, like the cats cutters. They purr  from their place of honour in the sunset.
                                    
 And in the distance, a happy fat orange cat watches as I wrangle those cutters into position. This is Cordelia's buddy. I've never seen the two of them in the window together.  But often Cordelia will sit on the other side. Way up high on the hill. Surveying all.
 Candles glow. Antique angels sing. The little church is alight; a gift from a special friend. Brass stocking holders waiting with bated breath. Shining in the firelight,, while the cats snore underneath.

 And in the dawn, Cordelia, beautiful as ever, sits on her Moai head and listens. For bells pealing , I like to believe ; she is like a sentinel up there.
            The banister is set, Father Christmas awaits in the foreground, cause Advent is coming. And it comes soon. Next week. The elves are ready. These are special elves. Vintage. I found these on eBay. They are from the 1950's. When I was really young, in the 60's and 70's , there were similiar elves on the tree. Just like these. I always regretted that I had not kept them. Reminds me of that time.

                         Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Advent right around the corner. Ready, Set, Go Christmas......

No comments:

Post a Comment