Thursday, March 12, 2015

Grandmother's Caraway Seed Cake

 GRANDMOTHER’s TRADITIONAL CARAWAY  SEED CAKE
Heat oven to 350.
Spray a loaf tin with Pam. Then line with parchment paper and spray again.
 Grandmother Isabella Shiels in 1910 approx. She moved from Scotland to Bethune, Saskatchewan, with my grandfather. They never returned to the old country.
 ¾ cup butter ( not marg)
¾ cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup self rising flour
(Add 1 ½ tsp baking powder to the 1 cup of flour, and a pinch of salt)
7 tsp of caraway seeds
 Beat everything together till smooth

 Plop into lined tin. Smooth out batter. Will look like it is not very much. It will rise.
 Bake for about 45 minutes to one hour till a tester inserted in middle of cake, comes out clean.  Let cool. Can be sliced and then each slice wrapped and then frozen.
  My house at 1425 Fairfield in Victoria.Long before I was around. But growing up my mother would make this cake. In the winter mostly on those cold frosty days.  I remember the kitchen scented with the caraway seeds. I never met my grandmother. She was long gone, so was my grandfather. But her essence was here. Every time that cake was made she as there.

 Then the slices were even toasted and buttered. Served with tea most times. Or coffee.  Very simple fare.Not fancy.  Just right and lovely.
 Another version is the Citron Caraway Seed Cake. Add a 1/3 cup citron peel and a dash of vanilla and a dash of almond flavouring into the batter. Not my fav. But  bakes wells. Tastes good. But the ordinary Caraway Seed Cake is by far the best one. Tender and light.
Lots of memories. My Grandmother and Grandfather walking hand in hand at 1425 fairfield, where my parents lived. She died not long after this photograph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment