Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Super Hero Quilting

 I have discovered Free Arm Quilting ( Stippling). I can't believe I didn't know how to do this before. I am amazed and so thankful to finally be able to do it. Saves on the time. Saves on the hands.  And it's so fun. It's kind of what I imagine flying would be , if you were Superman. Hurray for Youtube. Step by step guidance. Sometimes a little pedantic,but that's okay. Kind of like the movie of the week, only better.....

 First thing I learned was to keep the cats away from the moving parts of the sewing machine, and to release the "Feed Dogs".  They control which way the fabric moves. I did not know this. Cats are drawn to the needle speed. Be sure to keep them away. Once this is done, you are all set.The "Feed Dogs" on my Janome are located behind the front plate. Just a simple switch. It allows for the needle to move freely and the fabric to go where you guide it. It's a matter of attaching a darning pressure foot, like in the photo, and then off you go.

 You can stitch in lines, with the fabric swirling, from bottom to top. So, in essence you sew Backwards!  A little weird at first. I also learned that it is fast. Incredibly fast. No longer will quilt panels pile up, waiting to be stitched,  while you debate how you will ever get enough fingers to do all the quilting. I tend to be rather  prolific where fabric is concerned. I can't help it. I love fabric. Can't get enough of quilting.  When you are done "Stippling" and done your project, you release the feed dogs back by moving the switch again to to the opposite side and move the wheel, then the feed dogs are returned to ordinary sewing. Replace your Darning foot, with the Regular foot, like in the above fabric, and you're set ot sew on binding, or whatever else you need to sew.
                           
 If you have pieced the layers and have everything pinned , then it is merely a question of turning on the machine , getting prepared and then zoom. Takes some practise getting the fabric to  run smoothly. I had to practise on scrap fabric just to get the feel of sewing backwards. Was really odd, but works great.You'll only get better the more you try it out. It's addictive. I couldn't stop trying it out on all my waiting pieces. Zoom.

 Be sure to keep your  fingers free as the needle raps through its paces. No, I didn't catch my fingers, but it occurred to me as I was trying this , that it was a good idea to always be aware where your fingers were located. I still don't have it perfect, probably never will, but  it gets easier with time. And it makes these swooshing swirls and whirls.
 Way Fun.

 From the moment you attach that darning foot, release the feed dogs and let loose with the speed  of the needle and let it rip , it makes music and pretty soon the fabric is brandishing flourishes that you would never believe. So easy on the hands. So easy on your time. No longer do layered pieces have to languish in a box.......it's like your machine has become a super hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment