Wednesday, March 9, 2016

LAZY HOT CROSS BUNS

 Stormy days. Wind. Rain .Dirt being delivered. Not just any dirt. Sea Soil Smells of the ocean. Smells of crunchy sea things. Smells of the sea. My favourite dirt .
 In all the excitement of the monumental moment of  dirt, I decided to be lazy and not actually make Hot Cross Buns right now. Found another way. And THEY just might eat them.
 I've made my mother's old fashioned hot cross buns, stuffed with with peel and raisins, with sugary crosses slathered on top........hmmm, Makes me nostalgic.
 When I was a kid, I would lick off the frosting on the buns, and then put them back in the pan. Then there would be more hot cross buns to make  to make up for it. Usually with no frosting crosses......can't imagine why.
 Today I decided it was time  to make lazy hot cross buns. I picked up a package of frozen white bread dough rolls.You can also get whole wheat ones. Cause , after all, there's dirt to play in. Can't be slaving over a hot stove.
 I let them rise on a warm oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. They poofed up quite lovely.
 Meanwhile, I played with my dirt, and arranged pots. I will need more dirt for my pots.
 I watched  Ravens steal peanuts  from the Stellar Jays, and vice versa.
 To make the crosses, I  made  a mixture of plain flour, tsp of sugar, and water.  Simple as that: just flour, with a bit of water to mix. I think I used a cup of flour.
 Watched it pour outside. All over my dirt.
 Watched  the worms squiggle forth, all around the hyacinths.
 Then it was time to stir the flour and water to a good consistency. I think I did it a bit too thin...should be thicker. Should be so that it makes a good flat paste. Next time I'll get it thicker. It's whatever you want. Thin works great as well. Just looks different in the end result.
 Most hot cross buns would have raisins or peel added to frozen  dough. I've actually done before. Then set it back out to rise again.
 "Hot cross buns, Hot cross buns, one a penny, two a penny, Hot cross buns."
 When the flour mix is ready, pour into a ziploc bag, and snip off one corner. It should come out in an even stream. Like I said, mine is a bit too thin here, and should be a tad stiffer.
 "Hot cross buns, if you have no daughters, give them to your sons. One a penny, two a penny, Hot Cross Buns!"
 Drape the risen bread dough with strips of the flour mixture. THEN SPRINKLE SUGAR OVER the TOPS of the BUNS. This will give the crust a nice  top and a tiny bit of sweetness to the dough.
 Bake 350 till golden brown. About half an hour. Just keep an eye on them.  If you have neater flour mix for the crosses, they will look more even. But I kind of like the uneven look.
 Enjoy. Maybe closer to Easter I will make traditional hot cross buns. The ones with frosting crosses. The kind you lick off , then devour the bun, or place back in the pan. Just because.  Because you still remember the first time you tasted one.

No comments:

Post a Comment