Saturday, November 4, 2017

SHIRLEY's CHRISTMAS CAKE 1997

"Christmas, my child, is love in action.Every time we love, every time we give, it is Christmas in action." -Dale Evans
 SHIRLEY's CHRISTMAS CAKE  1997 
I love this fruitcake recipe. Not just because it is really wonderful. But because it came from my good friend, Shirley, in Fredericton, New Brunswick.  She and her husband lived across the road from us. She still lives across there, all these years later. We talk across the miles, and the miles evaporate. Every Christmas I make this cake I think of her, and of our friendship. And every year I make it, I phone to tell her. "Shirley! I'm making your cake!"I think of the warmth and blessings I have received from her across the years.I am the luckiest person in the world .
 When I first met Shirley, my family and I  were waiting outside our new house in Fredericton. The moving truck had not arrived. But Shirley did. With her young grand children in tow. They carried cakes, pies, cookies, goodies and bubbly warmth and happiness. I loved her the minute we met. Shirley's incredible humour and love of God  was infectious.  Even when we are now so far away on the West Coast.  So, Merry Christmas, Shirley,let your light shine!
 COMBINE FRUIT in BOWL:                                                                       
3 cups golden raisins combined with dried cranberries , if your so wish.                                                   2 cups glazed /dried fruit ( your choice)                   
6 candied / dried pineapple rings, cut up                   
1/3 cups orange peel/fresh or candied               
¾ cup chopped dried apricots
 ½ cup candied ginger  ( if you wish)                          
1 ½ cups chopped almonds                                          
1 ½ cups pecan halves                                                 
1 cup flour for dusting fruit                                      
1 cup of Grand Marnier Brandy
½ cup orange juice, or ground up orange, to go with brandy
 LET FRUIT SIT a day at least to let the booze soak in.I don't think Shirley used Grand marnier in hers, but I find it gives it an extra zap ( it bakes in, anyways.) This year I used Blackberry wine instead, and it turned the batter golden. 
 "The spirit of Christmas is the spirit of love and generosity and goodness. It illuminates the picture window of the soul,and we look out upon the world's busy life,and become more interested in people than in things."
                                                  -Thomas S. Monson
                      BATTER:                                               
                                                    1 tsp almond extract        
1 pound butter                              1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups white sugar                         3 cups flour
10 large eggs                                  pinch of salt
                                                     1 tsp baking powder

          Line  small loaf pans with greased parchment paper. You can find loaf pans in the section of the grocery store where they sell foil and cling wrap. I find it makes about 10-13 small loaf pans.
 Mix batter with mix master till smooth.
 From BATTER List, cream butter with sugar, add eggs 1 at a time. Add the remaining ingredients from this list.  
Byrdy...14 weeks. Watches.
 When the batter is ready, pour in the fruit that has been standing. Mix with hands 
( clean hands).
 Divide batter between pans. The small loaf tins work so well as they freeze great and are the perfect size for gift giving. I mail these even down into the States. They arrive intact. 
 Bake at 300 degrees for about 1  ½ hours ( give or take. Sometimes it takes an hour). I kind of guesstimate the time, and check after 40 minutes by testing the centre.  
Byrdy and best friend, Poe....
 You do not want to over bake the little loaf pans , so check often.  The batch this year made 13 small loaf pans. Wrap when cool and freeze until ready to mail, or eat. 
Cordelia
 I mail these in the foil pans, by the way.  When giving away locally, put an ingredient list on the top of the cake so everyone can see what is in it. I don't brush cake tops with any alcohol. I don't think it needs it. 
 "God never gives someone a gift they are not capable of receiving.If He gives us the gift of Christmas it is because we have the ability to understand and receive it." -Pope Francis
Couldn't resist. Smokey about ten days ago.....

No comments:

Post a Comment