Sunday, April 24, 2022

Really Nice SCAWNS....

"You make them just before they are to be carried in....with very cold butter, double cream..." -Rhys Bowen
"Time to make Scawns," my mother would say. Her hands worked deftly as she gathered up flour and butter and sugar. She pronounced  it in British English, though our neighbour, Mrs. Bliss,  called them "Skones". They often verbally tussled over that one. Didn't matter. they were , and are, wonderful, no matter what you call them.
My grandmother  used to make them, over a hundred years ago. Daily, my mother said. Many mouths to feed.
A quick hand, no kneading, she taught my mother. And she taught me. And so here it is.....the 

SCAWN recipe circa 1908. I always double it as it only makes one  round loaf...and the two recipes fit on one cookie sheet. It's up to you. But one never lasts long. I've included my mother and grandmother's recipe and then my recipe, the one I use today....

My Mother's recipe:

2 ½ cups flour

Scant ½ cup sugar

Scant 1 tsp Cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda

Pinch of salt

2 tbsp shortening

1 1/3 cup sour milk ( perhaps a little more….you can sour milk with a tblsp of vinegar or lemon juice)

MY RECIPE: ( I double it) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2 cups  flour

½ cup sugar

1 tbsp baking powder

Pinch of coarse salt

½ cup cold butter or margarine (Cut into the dry ingredients)

1 egg

2/3 cup milk ( I use cream sometimes)

Coarse sugar for top. Adds texture.


 Be quick to fold together, add wet to dry and plop out onto cookie sheet.

Do not knead. Should look like pastry, before you start to form into two rounds. Pretend you're making pies. If you knead it, then the dough will be tough.
Form quickly into rounds. Your hands will  be enough to mold the dough. Don't add extra moisture or they will be soggy.
 Slice through with a knife or pastry cutter, into 6 or 8 small wedges. My mother would cut them into 4 LARGE  wedges......but they bake better being smaller.
Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut through dough once more.
Bake at 425 degrees about 12 minutes. Add five minutes. test by sticking a sharp knife or toothpick in the centre of the top of the  round loaves. If not sure, I take a clean finger and touch the insides of the cut seams to see. Then add another 5 minutes if they seem underbaked.

I'm really careful at this point not to overbake or they will burn. Don't fiddle with  the oven temperature........it needs to be at 425 degrees.

When  you take the loaves out, slice again . Nice served hot with butter and honey or jams. Good with stew or soups as well.
Can also add dried cranberries, or cherries to the dough before baking. REALLY nice Scawns.....
Photographs 2022
 

1 comment: