Friday, July 26, 2013

BLUEBERRY BLACKBERRY .....can't make up my mind.

BLueberry OR Blackberry OR both. Just couldn't make up my mind. Talked to my friend, Faith, the other day. She loves blueberries. Especially blueberry pie, so decided to mix the two, since I love blackberries. Every time I cut into one of these pies I will think of her. If  I could mail one across the pond to her, I would. But  think it would get squished. 
 Need the freezer space for THIS year. So combined them  to make three freezer pies to bake later, or give away as gifts.
 SALT SPRING ISLAND PASTRY: 6 cups flour, 1 lb Crisco shortening, 2 tblsp white vinegar, 1 cup ice water and 1 egg combined. Use a pastry blender to cut in shortening, mix wet ingredients and then mix into crumbled pastry. Divide into six portions. Flatten each into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. These can be frozen or chilled and used right away for pies.
 Roll out one disc per pie pan.
Fix any cracks by  moistening with water and pressing together. Press into bottom of pie pan  ( I get those aluminum ones for the freezer..... don't use glass or metal)Then take a break. Walk outside an smell the flowers.............
Or visit with a cat.........or two. Smokey  and Spencer can be quite accomodating...
 Spencer not so much so. He was sleepy.....
Go back inside,  Combine a whole lot of blackberries and blueberries ( I never really measure, but usually a large pyrex bowl full), with 2 cups flour and a cup of sugar. Drain off any excess liquid, as the sugar will make juice.
Cover with a second disc rolled out. I got cute and made a B for top of the pie.
Then go outside again to  pick sweet peas. When you come back in  you can wrap up the pies in cling wrap, and place inside Ziploc bags before placing in freezer.
 By that time the cats will all be asleep and you can go ahead and start picking more blueberries.....
Or take a cat nap................

No comments:

Post a Comment