Monday, January 27, 2014

WINE to BOTTLE

 Time to bottle some wine. It's ready early this year.  Pungent potion from the fall. Named after cats. Of course.  Funny thing is, we only open a bottle if there is company, or to give  away as gifts. So the cellar is full to grape  capacity.
 Not my thing, really, to make wine.  But didn't know what to do with all the grapes. Hundreds of grapes.  The racoons couldn't possibly eat them all. The birds just ignore them.....and go hunt worms and seeds. Grapes that are a tad sour-sweet. Not really for eating, these grapes. I tried grape jelly, grape preserves, grape juice. Way too much work. Kitchen smelled like a brewery.
 The entire process of making the wine takes a few months. First you dump the grapes into the squeezer , which turns it into juice ( I'm sure there is a technical term for it), then it is bottled into huge Carboys to sit and ferment with yeast and sugar. It bubbles away for a few months....
 And you're left with a clear liquid that takes an awful lot like fancy grape juice, with a kick. The scent is quite something. I was told we have to tase it. Taste something I will not ever drink. Okay. I'm game. Dutifully, I  stuck my finger in the  offered glass,  just to see.......(The look I was given by  the people in the next bottling station told me that you shouldn't stick your fingers in the wine.)
 Bleh. I guess it is supposed to taste like that. Bleh. Everyone else tasting, waxed poetic about the grapes,the bouquet, it's unusual fragrant properties............( okay, I'll go along with that)
 The part I like best  is making up  names for the labels. This season it is "Cordelia's White" and "Spencer's Smokey White". Play on words of course. Next time will use Bunny's  name. She might like that.On the way home, we stop at Cordelia's house and Spencer and Smokey's house. Dropping off bottles is incredibly fun.
                    And maybe this summer, Cordelia and her friends will sit on the fence again, sleeping under the grapes in the heat of the day. And the ritual will start again. Squishing grapes. Tasting ( bleh). Then giving it away. Best part. And wait for it. Next batch: "Bunny's Breakfast Blend" will make it's appearance. Or maybe "Bunny's Beverage", or .................will have to come up with a catchy name. Any suggestions? " Bunny's something something". Feel free to send ideas ( I'll save a  bottle for you).......
Smokey

No comments:

Post a Comment