Saturday, February 27, 2016

Everywhere, Man....

I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man (Johnny Cash)
Well  it feels like everywhere.  30 years. Time to retire  the 1985 Toyota. Made me think of all the places it's taken us.  316765 km. Total cost of ownership $0.26/km. 7.69 litres/100 km.  Just could not stop the rust anymore and finding parts was almost impossible. Great car.
 It's a daunting list. Cause I can't remember all of them. So many. Though there are the battle scars...

It's been to Timmins, Kapauskasing, Ottawa, Moncton, 

Fredericton, Halifax, Digby, Annapolis Royal, Kingston, 

Petawawa, Pembroke, Saskatoon, MooseJaw, Bethune, 


GOlden, Jaspar, Banff, Vancouver, Victoria,

 Nanaimo, Surrey, White Rock, Langley

Cooperstown ( baseball hall of fame) and Vermont.....

Amherst, Bridgewater, Truro,Yarmouth, Wolfville,Lunenburg, (Nova Scotia)

Arnprior,Niagra Falls, Niagra-on-the-lake,Smiths Falls, 

St. Mary's,           Edmonton, Calgary, 

St.Albert,Oregon.....hmmm Washington ! 
 Idaho ( somewhere), North Bay, Thunder Bay,Marathon,Elliot Lake, Dryden, S. Ste. Marie,Cochrane, Kirkland Lake,Sioux Lookout,Wawa,Nipigon,
 Canmore, Morinville,Vegreville, and a lot of other villes that I just can't remember.....
 It's seen nine moves ( I think) across Canada. A whole bunch of Prime Ministers.,....
 It's carried cats, kids, suitcases, accordion, violin, groceries, car seats, booster seats.....
 Roared across Canada  from Maritimes to  the West Coast . About three times. No, four times......
 Maybe more. 
 Gone through blizzards in Northern Ontario, Lightning storms, Rain storms, White outs in Nova Scotia. Alberta, Ontario......hmmmmmmm, oh yes, and NEW BRUNSWICK!
 Carried geraniums, small trees, flower pot stuffers galore, mulch, bags of dirt....
 My favourite memory is driving from Cornwallis, Nova Scotia  in September, down to Halifax. The trees  lining the road like something out of Road to Avonlea. I remember the window open, and  looking up from the low seat in the car, and seeing the  turned leaves waving over the car as it whooshed by. I remember the scent of a Maritime autumn. And it was glorious.....
 Battle scars of 30  years. Into the sunset you go....
 "I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere." (Johnny Cash)
                                 Now I gotta get me some eyelashes for those new headlights..
(and I can still  hear Johnny Cash singing away.....)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! that is a lot of miles and places. Amazing how many you can remember.

    ReplyDelete