Sunday, January 8, 2017

1942 January winter (from Housekeeping Journal)...

 "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome,dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains  rise into and above the clouds." -Edward Abbey (1927-1989)

 NEW YEAR, January WINTER, 1942
                                         (from my mother's housekeeping journal)
 I guess I will write off 1941 as something I am glad is gone. A New Year,and better things  I hope. We have  made it through, with a few dollars left and that is something.

 Davie came thru one major operation on June 6th for perforated ulcer.Was 16 days in Powell River Hospital until Sept 9th when  he was operated on again. 21 days, after that , in the Jubilee.It was a long summer for me. And a long summer for us.

 In Oct, on the 26th, he took yellow jaundice and was all better by Christmas 1941. He was happily well again. 
 We spent all of December on the farm. So good to be Home again. There was snow. So much snow the cutter got stuck going along the ruts.  There was  plenty of good days.
By the end of the year we had $350 cash, which is something. Wages I earned  at Wilcuns amounted to about $200 or so.

 I paid the rent, storage and insurance on Sunday.  All clear for now, notwithstanding.

 The doctor bill has been paid off quite a bit.   $488 to date. another $300 to go.
 Finally made a tally for what we spent in 1939. Has taken me a while to write it down. I compared it to 1941.  I am afraid that I will have to be more careful this year.
 1939 Spent $32.00 for the month of February.    
Rent: $15                               Stockings: 76 cents              Sweepstake Ticket: $1.25
Wood: $2.50                            Dance: 40 cents                  Groceries: 75 cents
New Dress: $2.50                   Show: 20 cents                    Honey and Eggs: $1.80
 1941 Spent  $34.75 in February
Hudson's Bay: $4.54             Light Bill: $2.00            Dr. Lyons was paid $23.00
Socks: $1.00                          Girdle: $1.00                 Hair cut: 35 cents.
Groceries: $1.50   (Comes to about $10.00)                Davie's tobacco: $1.00
 The doctor bill is the most  difficult. But can't be helped.
 I only  hope Davie can stay well this year. It is a lot to ask of us.He has not worked since last spring.But things will change. 
 This year I hope we can get  ahead. Rather than behind. I have work , which is good. Davie  has found work, at last,  on the Princess Louise. In the boilers. Steady work maybe. Hoping 1942 is brighter.
 "In the presence of eternity, the mountains are as transient as the clouds." -Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899) (Civil War Vet, Lawyer)
Mt Washington Photography: M. McConachie Woods 2017
Reference: Personal journal 1938-1940 Nessie McConachie

No comments:

Post a Comment