Monday, October 23, 2017

With the Sea....

 “We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something.”    ― Mother Teresa
 The ocean is something that has always been part and parcel of my existence. A thousand people may say that. But I know there is a connection.It is  as strong and real as God is real.  
 I don't really care for that perfect, blue peaceful skim. 
 Give me the crashing. The storm. The wild. The freezing.
 And the churning. Ever restless. Ever  tormenting the shore.
 “She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.”― Holly BlackTithe
 When I was a child we would go to Sooke. West side of Vancouver Island.  The sea was even more wild. There the sea would wrench in torment more often .
 This is calm, compared to what I used to see at Sooke. These days I search it out. I watch and wait for the storms to hit. 
 The undertow rattling on rocks all slimy with kelp. Smashing against boulders and logs.  With the crack of  a thousand rocks.
 And the beating  a thousand drums.
 And I never get too close to the sea.  I have always feared some sea monster lurking at the shore's edge. Just waiting to gobble me up.
 Some days  it still feels like that. 
 Now I seek out the din of the surf.
 And feel the rain , the chill, the cold, the spray tossing through me.And I feel whole again. Like I have visited an old friend.....
 “I like a good story and I also like staring at the sea-- do I have to choose between the two?” ― David ByrneHow Music Works

No comments:

Post a Comment