Saturday, April 13, 2019

PEACE by Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933)

 "GOD scatters love on every side, and always hearts are lying open wide wherein some grains may fall..." -J. R. Lowell
 PEACE  by Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933) teacher of English lit at Princeton. He assisted in writing the first common book of Presbyterian hymns in 1906.Minister of the Netherlands and Holland in 1916. Friend to Helen Keller. Was the minister who laid Mark Twain to rest in 1910.Poet, Writer, Lyricist......
 With eager heart and will on fire
 I fought to win my great desire.
 "Peace shall be mine!"
 I said.....but LIFE
 Grew bitter in the weary strife.
 My soul was tired, and my pride
 was wounded deep:
 to Heaven I cried:
 "GOD grant me peace.............."
 The dumb stars glittered no reply.
 Broken at last, I bowed my head,
 Forgetting all myself, and said....
 "Whatever comes, His will be done."
 And in that moment peace was won.....
 Photographs 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment