Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Yippee-Ki-O-Ki Ay Cookies


"All day I've faced a barren waste,without the taste of water, cool water..." -"Sons of the Pioneers" ( Cool water)
In 1934, August 8th, Decca records signed  some of the most famous  singers, like Roy Rogers, to a group called "Sons of the Pioneers". Songs like "Cool Water". "Tumbling tumbleweed", "Country Blues", "Train"......heard them the other day, made me think of these Yippee Ki Oh Ki Yay Cookies....

RECIPE:

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup butter, melted and cooled         1 cup brown sugar

½ cup white sugar      2 eggs             
Combine these first ingredients.

350 oven preheated. Cookie sheets with silpat liners or parchment paper

      
1 ½ cups flour         1 tsp baking powder       Pinch salt  

2 ½ cups rolled oats

2 cups choc chips      1 ½ cups rice cereal      1 cup raisins


Combine the dry ingredients. 
"Deep in my heart is a song, drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds..." - "Sons of the Pioneers ( Tumbleweeds)
Combine both with wooden spoon or with clean hands.

Drop by ¼ cup measure on silpat or parchment lined baking sheets.

2 inches apart.


Bake in preheated oven for 14-16 minutes

Perfectly crisp with soft texture, and incredible raisin and chocolate. Yum


Long time ago, my uncle would visit from Saskatchewan,  many moons ago, and stay thru the winter. He would eat  tons of these cookies. My mother would churn these out like crazy.  He loved hot scones dripping with butter and honey in the morning, along with bacon and eggs and coffee.I would practise violin . He would listen. .......


 But he loved that "Sons of the Pioneers" record. And I would be the one to put  it on for him.I still have the original record. Still with the scratches and the skips.

He'd eat cookies and  cloves of garlic. Raw garlic. He'd read  James Bonds books in the corner of the living room, with a mug of strong tea by his hand. And on the stereo would be playing  "Sons of the Pioneers" over and over. I had those songs learned by heart.
I can still see him eating those cookies, and chomping on the raw garlic, humming away  to himself  along with "Sons of the Pioneers..."

"I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande, Never roped a steer cause I don't know how. Ain't gonna start now. Yippee-I-O-Ki-Ay..."
 - "Sons of the Pioneers ( "Old Cowhand")

Photographs 2020

1 comment:

  1. Just fantastic the whole way through I love all this so much from the receipes to the photos and the sort of music you like and I like that too and your description of your Uncle eating the garlic (kept him healthy) and you looked so sweet as a young one and also fantastic the photo of you in the hat, could be back on that farm I think and then dear Spencer waiting for the cookies to bake(maybe). Thanks for sending and lots of love Trish xxxx

    ReplyDelete