Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Raven Excerpts ( Halloween)

"Do we not dream of dreams?" -Nathan Reese Maher
  EXCERPTS from the RAVEN (1845)  by Edgar Allan Poe

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary....


While I nodded, nearly nappy, suddenly there  came a tapping....

 rapping at my chamber door...
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
And the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain thrilled me...
'Tis some visitor  entreating entrance at my chamber door.
Like a choir going through vocal exercises.  But no perfect pitches here.

                         
This it is and nothing more.

Truly your forgiveness I implore but the fact I was napping, and so gently come rapping.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing....
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before...
 Nevermore.
But the raven, sitting lonely spoke only that one word, as if his soul in that one word did outpour.
Then the bird said "Never more"
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
And his eyes have  all the seeming of dreaming....


Photographs 2023.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment