Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sweet Peas

It's just simply not summer without Sweet Peas....that unforgettable scent is something I associate with summer. This year the Sweet Peas are late....really late....some of the vines are already starting to dry out and their haven't been a significant amount of blooms.
My mother used to plant sweet pea seeds in a trough underneath the dining room window. The dirt was particularly wonderful, and there was nothing fancy about the setting. But the sweet peas grew straight and tall, and we must have picked flowers for two months. These days I don't have a place to grow sweet peas, so instead I plant them in hanging baskets and pots. Every other year, than this, they have produced strong stemmed , brightly coloured blooms. It's just an off year.
Fortunately, there are enough sweet peas to gather every couple of days....just enough, so I can't complain. And there's still that heady, sweet scent to remind me that it's summer, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment