Monday, June 2, 2014

83 pots and counting.....

 The end of the flowers for sale grows nigh. Great opportunity to pick up hanging baskets for about half price of what they would have been in May. Instant colour. Instant reward. Pick up leftover petunias, begonias, whatever that is still sitting on the shelves. Time to stuff odds and ends into those leftover pots. All those pots just sitting around. Waiting to be stuffed.
 Even Cordelia likes a day like today. She helped this afternoon.She supervised. I picked up a flat of Cosmos as well. Have been looking for Cosmos for a month. Found some at last. The very last ones on the shelf. Perfectly good.I can use some of the last annuals to fill random pots I keep on hand.  Something like 83 pots, I counted. Pots that were gifts, pots that were my mothers, pots that I found, bought, accumulated from all those moves.If there is a corner.....stuff a pot into it.
  Some water. Some fertilizer.
 "Into the sunshine, full of the light, leaping and flashing morning and night." (J.R. Lowell "The Fountain")
 Not bad for end of the line baskets. Potatoe Vine spilling out in purple haze.
 "Flower in the crannied wall, I pluck you out of the crannies, I hold you here, root and all, in my hand, little flower, but if I could understand what you are, root and all, all in all, I should know what God and man is." ( Alfred, Lord Tennyson)
                          
                  Pots can start like this. A little scarce. A little staggered. A little pale in the flower department................
 And end up like this. Boom. Colour. Light. Froth. Happiness in every corner.
                
            "Today, as I was reading in the garden, a waft of summer perfume...." (by George Gissing "Summer") Summer and pots and pots and cats and clanking chimes and worms and pots. And cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment