Wednesday, December 17, 2014

They're All Here...

 Everyone is here. They are all here in one form or another.  Some are very old. Some are very recent. A lot of cards. Some that are new, and some that the senders are long gone.The carol ones,are actually paper serviettes from the 40's. Ones that my mother had saved for years, and used as cards one year, when she could not afford real cards for Christmas.  Not bad looking for  60 plus years in their fragile state. 
 Some  were taken apart long ago to use as tags, but never made it that far. They, as well, as the carol paper napkins, are old. Cut apart  with serrated scissors. What was I thinking.....
 Cards multiply and gather . It's like having everyone you know in one place. Trouble is keeping Bunny from eating them. She likes the glitter. I like the glitter. The card in the front, the coloured plastic rectangular plate is a card, sort of. But different. It's a little worn, not quite as fancy as the others. Even a little cheesy.  I  have it out every year. It's  the last card that my mother gave to me. On a Christmas when she wasn't able to get around as much. She  got it on the previous year when sales were on.  She never gave me a card after this one. And it's not really a card. But that's what she called it, and it stuck. It's faded and  has that look that it's been  left out in the sun.

                                   

 Then there are the ones like the KVR Christmas Train, photographed by David Finnis, a few years ago. Reminds me of the Polar Express. I can hear the train. Feel the snow swooshing from the tracks. I feel like I am standing at the edge, waiting for that train to plow past.
 And glitter. Lots of glitter. I love bling. The more the merrier.
  And cards from far away. From friends who are family, and family who are friends.They're all here.
And the homemade.  The ones painted, drawn, sewn, stitched with gilt thread.
 Yes, they are all here. Friends. Family. Kindred Spirits. In spirit.
  And everything is a miracle, isn't it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment