Wednesday, March 8, 2017

At the Window

 "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I stare out the window and wait for spring..." 
        -Rogers Hornsby (1896-1963) (Baseball infielder. 23 seasons in major leagues)
 Ah well........our indoor  cats stare outside, at the outdoor cats. Winter. Spring. Summer. Fall. Especially winter. Especially now. The winter that will never end.  Rain forest winter that drips with snow and hail, like it has a perpetual runny nose....

 The mountains are  shrouded, slimed with fog goobers.  I  Fiddle and faddle with my seed pods. All in little rows  all bubbling along nicely. waiting for  the moment when something green will pop forth.Watching the Cats watch me.

 And the indoor cats. When not at the window,they know FIRE. Especially the oldest one; 17 and warming her fluff day in and day out. A very happy Bo.Even when the hail beats against the window. It sounds like rattling teeth being tossed around by giants. Giant cats.
 Outdoor cats, like Cordelia, sit in perfection, watching  Hummers hum circles around the others. I play with the pods. Willing them to grow. Spraying them with a spray bottle. Looking  out the window....Snow in the clouds. 
  Hummers  dive bomb the cats on the porch. And then dive bomb their feeders.
 I think to myself that I should have been crafty enough to make pods out of newspaper. Newspaper. ......who has  time to do that? I've never been that anxious to be  keen enough to fold up newspaper into little pots. Though it WOULD give me  something to do,while watching another  cat climb across the grape arbour. 
 He swishes his tail.....Frost flicks off  the branches with every swish.
 Then he inches forwards on the grape vines....
 Then looks at ME. We lock eyes.Through the big window.....He wins.

 "I discovered windows one afternoon, and after that, nothing was ever the same." -Anne Spollen, The Shape of Water.

 " A window covered with raindrops interests me more than a photograph of a famous person...."
                            -Saul Leiter (1923-2013) ( American Photographer)


 "Birds  were created to record everything.They were not designed to just be beautiful jewels in the sky, but to serve as the eyes of heaven...." 
      -Suzy Kassem (1975-)Rise up and Salute the Sun: The writings  of Suzy Kassem.
 I wonder if any of the seed pods will sprout. Some of them were annoying to stuff into the pods. Fiddly things. Maybe  winter  will  dissolve  soon. I should turn over the compost again. Scrape out worms. Give the robins a thrill. 
   In the meantime, I will keep an eye on the window. It's winter still. Soggy. Snowy. Hail. Cats. Cats everywhere. Rain. Snow........Soon it will be spring. I'll remain plastered at the window......I've been assured that it won't last........The cats are congregating. That's a sign.....
 "I feel that it is healthier to  look out at the world thru a window , rather than a mirror. Otherwise, all you see is yourself, and whatever is behind you...." -Bill Withers  (1938-)(Singer//Songwriter)
 Photographs 2017: M . McConachie Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment