Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Little early Gardening...

 "What you plant now, you will harvest later..."
                                                  -Og Mandino (1923-1996)
 Spencer is too big for the plant pot. Once it's full of begonias he won't be able to sit in it.  But for now the hummingbirds can scold him from up above.

 In the greenhouse, I've been gathering lettuce plants, broccoli and cabbage. And a few flats of geraniums, etc. Just can't help myself! When I walk by all those displays of green growing things in the store.......

 Snow is still in the mountains. Grey and sticky down below. Wet and  boggy. Perfect spring weather for here in Campbell River.
 I soaked sweet pea seeds for a few hours. Good not to do it beyond 8 hours. Just enough to get them  going. I split up the Climbing Sweet Peas and the Knee-Hi Sweet peas. Time to get them in the boxes, or the ground.
 "Yes, I am a CAT person. NO I am NOT socially awkward or lonely. And NO , you are not invited to the cat's birthday party....."- Yesbutno.com

 When I'm working outside, the neighbouring cats tend to come and hang out. Spencer likes one pot or the other to tuck himself into, while I'm fussing with seeds.  And the hummer is ever vigilant. As is the mud and rain and wind. Gardening on North Vancouver Island is  all of these at this time of year.

 First bloom of the season. Evergreen Clematis. Inside the greenhouse.  It is very very late. About six weeks later than usual. My greenhouse is starting to get stuffed once more, with  finds. The scent, once the vines fill out, will be incredible. Like an expensive perfume.

 Early planting: Lily of the Valley. Blooms in partial shade. This is the flower that was used in Kate Middleton's wedding bouquet.  The plant is deer resistant. It started to show blossoms inside its box. I'm worried that since it has already begun to bloom that it make have a harder time in the soil.  I found a nice section and plopped in about  9 tubers. If they survive, and they should, hoping they will spread.
  Rufous Hummer keeps  teetering on his branch. The whole time I'm out stuffing seeds into the ground.
 "Look around for a place to sow a few seeds..." 
                                                     -Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933)
 While Spencer snoozes in his pot of dirt.....
 "The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never goes away...." -Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932) ( horticulturalist)

 2017 photographs M.McConachie Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment