Friday, July 28, 2017

Tea Time with Spencer, the Neighbours' Cat....

 “There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.” 
                                                                                          ― Henry JamesThe Portrait of a Lady                     
  Sugar cubes melt in  golden tea. Royal Crown Derby Mikado finds a use again on an antique embroidered cloth that  my grandmother started stitching back in the 30's, before she lost her eyesight. I try to remember to  pull out the old dishes and linens. To enjoy them again.
 My mother continued to embroider the tea cloth, then one day handed me the cloth . I remember stitching outside, under the shade of trees. Then for years was squirrelled  away  in the sideboard. Folded beneath  tablecloths  and placemats. Forgotten.
 Now I  finally remember to  let it see the light of day. It has a place. At last. When the Mikado is  plied into service on days like today.  I know that somewhere deep down inside I would love to be running a B and B. A place where I could serve afternoon tea. Endless plates of scones and butter.....
 For  now, it's tea with a friend. And , of course, Spencer. The neighbours' cat. No, he' s not our cat. He has a lovely home. But he also  likes my flower pot. The one I never plant.  He's squished himself into it so much that the dirt has taken on his form.
 Today was no different. A good friend came for tea. Mikado. Tea cloth. Goodies. Spencer part of the conversation.

 He listened most attentively , but then got really sleepy. I guess our voices wore him out.
                                   He snores.
 Then wakes up with a fierce need to wash. I served pound cake today. He was quite well behaved and didn't beg.
 In the summer, with people coming back to back, always  easy to make something even easier. I make a pound cake from a cake mix  that slices up great.  You can serve it with whip cream and strawberries, or plain, with any other fruit. Freezes well.
 1 pkg yellow cake mix, 1 pkg instant pudding mix, 4 large eggs, 1 cup water or orange juice, or sherry ( Now THAT  is a great combination), 1/3 cup veggie oil. Mix all together. Pour into a long french bread pan, or large loaf pan. Bake about 50 mins or so. Cool and slice. 
 My mother would serve this with cream, not whipped, and fresh strawberries sprinkled with sugar.  She'd serve it to friends,  outside  in good weather under the trees on a large table  she kept covered. The leaves , in fall, would fall and litter the  dishes  with their yellowed offerings, and the days would grow cool, but the tea would  be hot.
 And then , there's days like today, where friends come, and Spencer  makes himself part of the scene. He purrs and snores . The tea and cake get passed. Friends talk and laugh. It's really quite wonderful....
 “I like pouring your tea, lifting
the heavy pot, and tipping it up,
so the fragrant liquid streams in your china cup."
 
                       ― Carol Ann DuffyRapture


1 comment: