Saturday, September 16, 2017

All roads....

"The Road now leads onward, as far as can be, winding lanes and hedgerows in threes...." -Loreena McKennitt
 All roads are leading into fall..... right on the heels of summer, which has ended hot and smokey.
 And with it,  the arrival of Stellar Jays. They meet  and greet with such enthusiasm. They are so smart. They KNOW i have peanuts for them.
  Squawk and talk. Talk and squawk.
 Neighbourhood cats watch them. Longing with every whisker twitch.
 "By purple mountains and round every bend, all roads lead to you, There is no journey's end." - Loreena McKennitt
 Last of the flowers. Hibiscus and  Roses. Soaked in what little rain we get.
 And in the morning, the skies turn silver when dawn finally breaks. Which is later and later and later....
 And the Stellar Jays stuff themeselves silly. They screech for more peanuts.I find they waylay me as I come around the corner from the greenhouse. Peanuts! 
 More. More. More.
 "Here is my heart, I give it to you. take me with you across this land. These are my dreams, so simple so few. Dreams we hold in the palm of our hands." - Loreena McKennitt
 Some leaves have fallen. But only some.
Cats, like Smokey,  peer into the house, in the silver morning.
Days are shorter. Hibiscus droops and dies. Like the Roses. Almost all gone.
 "Deep in the winter, amidst falling snow, high in the air where the bells they all toll." -Loreena McKennitt
 Bees and wasps govern  now. Wasps more than bees. They grow drunk on late sunlight.And roll around in clover.
Time to tear down falling sunflowers, prune, hack and slash .A daunting mess.
 Leave bare ground. Empty canvas for next year. Note to self: Next year, no more flopping sunflowers on the hill. 
 "It now leads onward I know not where. I feel in my heart that you will be there......" -Loreena McKennitt
 There are those who sit. All day. 
 The Jays watch the cats, watching them. Demand. Demand.
 Last of the roses  freeze in the night. Because frost shows no favourites.
 "Show aid may horsh um flee shum bug.Drams atta ga nay danamar la wa....." (Gaelic) - Loreena McKennitt
Translation: These are my dreams so simple, so few. Dreams we hold in the palm of our hand.
Song excerpts from Loreena McKennitt's "Never Ending Road" (Amhran Duit).....One of my fav  McKennitt songs ever.....

No comments:

Post a Comment