Friday, March 16, 2018

Morning Song

 MORNING SONG by Conrad Aiken (1889-1973) Won the Pulitzer Prize in 1930
 It is morning, and in the morning when the light drips through the shutters like the dew, I arise, I face the sunrise.
 Vine leaves tap my window, dew drops sing to the garden stones, the robin chirps in the  chinaberry tree repeating three clear tones.
 Waves far off in a pale rose twilight crash on a white sand shore. the green earth tilts thru a sphere of air and bathes in a flame of space.
 It is morning, and in the morning should I not pause in the light to remember God?
 He is immense and lonely as a cloud. I will dedicate this moment before my mirror, to Him alone.
 Vine leaves tap my window, the snail-track shines on the stones; Dew drops flash from the chinaberry tree repeating two clear tones.
 It is morning, Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
 The earth revolves with me, yet makes no motion, the stars pale silently in a coral sky.
 There are horses neighing on far off hills tossing their long white manes.
 And mountains flash in the rose-white dusk, their shoulders black with rains.....
 It is morning, I ascend from darkness and depart on the winds of space for I know not where.
 There are shadows across the window, clouds in the heavens, and a God among the stars.
 I will go, thinking of Him as I might think of daybreak.
 Vine leaves tap at the window, dew drops sing to the garden stones, 
 the robin chirps in the chinaberry tree repeating three clear tones.
 From A Treasury of Great Poems, 1942
Photographs 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment