Monday, May 14, 2018

Early Spring

 LINES WRITTEN in EARLY SPRING by William Wordsworth( written in the spring of 1798) (This was the year that Wordsworth and his friend Coleridge  burst on on the literary world with their romantic poems)
 I heard a thousand blended notes, while in a grove I sat reclined.
 In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts bring sad thoughts to the mind.
 To her fair works did Nature link the human soul that through me ran:
 And much it grieved my heart to think.....
 What man has made of man.
 Through primrose tufts in that green bower, the periwinkle trailed its wreaths;
 And 'tis my faith that every flower
 Enjoys the air it breathes.....
 The birds around me hopped and played, their thoughts I cannot measure....
female Yellow crossbill finch
 But the least motion which they made it seemed a thrill of pleasure.
 The budding twigs spread out their an to catch the breezy air,
sweet peas
 And I must think, do all I can, that there was pleasure there.
 If this belief from Heaven be sent, if such be Nature's holy plan...
 Have I not reason to lament.....
What Man Has Made of Man?
 Photographs 2018     Wordsworth poem from my mother's journal. She used to copy down poems all the time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment