Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Sari Runner Art piece....

   "Everybody loves things with sparkle..." - Phillip Teacy ( Irish Milliner)
 SARI RUNNER. Just completed it. Finally. 6.5 feet by 23 inches wide.
 A mix of as many pieces of fabric and sari ribbons and bling that I could dig out of my stash.
 Started with a centre panel, then added on two side pieces to fit my grandmother's antique oak table
 Began by ripping taffetta, damask, sequined fabric, gold lame, gold satin, dark gold parachute fabric.
 Machine quilted centre panels, after attaching to the plain side pieces. Under all this bling are panels of plain broadcloth. I do it up like a crazy quilt of sorts. But I don't actually plan where and when the fabric or strips go down.
 Great way to spend a rainy day. With Spencer, Scientia Cattus, hanging around outside the window.
                        "Sparkle away...." -Sofi Benetiez
 And at the other window, a Yellow Crossbill Finch, peeping  away  into the day.First time I have ever seen a crossbill finch. 
 After doing a layer of plainer satins and brocade...not cotton....must be  nice fabric remnants that have some shine to them.....
 I start to add the sari stips......and sari ribbons......
 Some can be sewn down by machine, others have so much beading that they can't be sewn into the seams, so I rip off the  ends and sew them at random lengths.
 The more random the better. I don't check colours . I just  haphazardly add strips at will.
 I go more for textures. I like ripped edges,salvage edges add extra strength, and even ripped sheers give that really wonderful look of painted on.
 In the end I add some things by hand. Especially the border of glass dangly beads. The more dangly the better.
 It's not exactly quilted. But stitched with a feather stitch through all thicknesses from short edge to short edge, wherever there was an open window of fabric.
 The resulting piece is 6.5 feet of sari trim, fabric, and beads. Rather heavy. But it lays nice and solid wherever you put it. It's wonderful to touch. Very tactile piece. My favourite fabric art form.....

 "Never be afraid of glitter, or shine, or vibrant colours, or the texture of edges. Always be random in your art..." -unkown
Photographs 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment