Tuesday, June 12, 2018

A Day with the Hummingbird

 THE HUMMINGBIRDS  by Amy Lowell (1874-1925) 
Pulitzer Prize winner for poetry.
    
Up UP water shooting....
 Jet of water, white and silver.
 Tinkling with the morning sun-bells
 Red as sun-blood, whizz of fire,
 Shock of fire-spray and water.
 It is the humming-birds flying against the stream of the fountain.
 The scarlet-throated trumpet flowers explode with humming-birds.
 The fountain waits to toss them diamonds.
 I clasp my hands over my heart
 Which will not let loose its humming-birds,
 Which will not break to green and ruby,
 Which will not let its  wings touch air.
 Pound and hammer me with irons,
 Crack me so that flame can enter
 Pull me open,
 Loose the thunder
 Of wings within me.
 Leave me wrecked and consoled.
 A maker of humming-birds.
 Who dare bathe in a leaping water.
 "The Hummingbirds" is from a collection of Amy Lowell( 1874-1925) poetry edited by Honor Moore, 2004.(American Poets Project) Absolutely beautiful poetry. Beautiful images. Worthy of immersing yourself in her imagery.
Photographs 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment