Friday, January 31, 2020

WHO MAKES MUCH of a MIRACLE......

 MIRACLES by WALT WHITMAN   (1819-1892) written in 1856  as "Poem of Perfect Miracles". Appeared again, revised, in 1881
 Why, who makes much of a miracle? As to me I know of nothing else but miracles.
 Wade with naked feet along the beach just in the edge of the water,
 Or stand under trees in the woods, or talk with any one I love....
Rona from the hill
 Or sit at table at dinner with the rest
 Or look at strangers opposite me riding in the car
 Or watch honey bees buy around the hive of a summer forenoon
 Or animals feeding in the field
Discovery Passage
 Or bids, or the wonderfulness of insects in the air,
Mt. Washington range
 Or the wonderfulness of the sundown, or of stars shining so quiet and bright
Simon from the hill
 Or the exquisite delicate thin curve of the new moon in spring
 These with the rest, one and all, are to me miracles
 To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle
 Every cubic inch of space is a miracle
 Every square yard of the surface of the earth is spread with the same,
 Every foot of the interior swarms with the same
 To me the sea is a continual miracle,
Vancouver Island range
 The fishes that swim, the rocks the motion of the waves the ships with men in them.
 What stranger miracles are there?
Mr. Spencer from the hill
Photographs 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment