Thursday, September 9, 2021

FROM SCRATCH

Morgan's WHITE ALMOND LAYER CAKE 

(PAULA DEEN recipe)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 2  9 inch pans. Line with parchment. Spray paper.

"Cake is happiness! If  you know the way of the cake, you know the way of happiness! If you have a cake in front of you , you should not look any further for joy!"-C. Joybell C.

1 cup unsalted butter, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups CAKE flour

2 ½ tsp baking powder,  Pinch salt

1 cup whole milk, room temp, 2 tblsp sour cream, room temp

1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 large egg white, room temp

Garnish: strawberries or other fruit

LARGE BOWL: Beat butter, sugar till fluffy

MEDIUM BOWL: Combine flour, baking powder, salt.

SMALL BOWL: Whisk milk, sour cream, vanilla.

ADD: Flour mix to butter mix with milk mix.
beating till combined.
Many moons ago, I  made a  cake from scratch .  I was 16. My uncle had come to visit. My job was to make the cake for dessert.  I made the cake all right. Forgot the egg whites. And the baking powder............I plopped the batter  in a loaf pan. It was fairly solid.
When I turned it out, it dropped on the floor. "Thunk". Like a brick. But I slathered it with chocolate frosting and my uncle ate it anyways......my mother questioned its wondrous density.....I just licked off the frosting.
ANOTHER BOWL: Beat egg whites till stiff peaks form.
Fold into batter  gently
SPREAD batter into prepared pans.BAKE about 40 minutes

Let cool for 10 minutes  on wire racks. Spread with frosting. 

FROSTING:

½ cup unsalted butter, softened, 1 pound powdered sugar, ½ cup whole milk, 1 tsp almond extract.

"To have a cake........to howl at the moon....to know true happiness.....I am happy!"-C. Joybell C.
Photographs 2021  This is a delicious cake. Morgan did a great job of it She took care putting it all together, and  it made for a lovely  cake.............

                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment