Sunday, September 5, 2021

DOG DAYS

DOG DAYS from 1919 by Amy Lowell  ( 1874-1925) 
A ladder sticking up at the open window, The top of an old ladder........
And all of Summer is there
Great waves and tufts of wiseria surge across the window....
And a thin, belated blossom
Up and down ......sunlight.
Purple translucence against the blue sky
Tie back the branch, I say......
But my hands are sticky with leaves,
And my nostrils widen to the smell of crushed green,
The ladder moves uneasily at the open window,
And I call to the man beneath.
Tie back that branch.........
There is a ladder
Leaning against the windowsill
And a mutter of thunder in the air............
Photographs 2021
* In 1926 Amy Lowell was posthumously awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1926
 

1 comment:

  1. Good on Amy and born the same year as my Mother. Stunning capture of the rainbow vertical over the mountain top. Very humid here our evening temp of still 22 degrees. Lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete