Wednesday, April 17, 2013

PHOTOS worth a second look......

 These are some of my favourite old photos I'm getting enlarged,cleaned up and all that sort of thing.  Everything seems to be still when I look at them. In the one above,my grandparents with their youngest son, Stuart,on the left, stand with their other son, Bill, in front of the old homestead in Bethune, Saskatchewan. It was May 29th 1940. Stuart left  that afternoon to  go to the war. My grandparents were NOT happy about it. To them, the war was far away.
 Stuart, May 29 1940, with his buddy.  Pretending to hitch a ride, down the long and winding road. Stuart survived Dieppe. His buddy did not.
 The "Norman", Montreal , 1932. One of the last air ships to toddle up and down North America before it was scrapped, after the explosion of the Hindenburg.
 The Shiels clan, about 1933, Bethune. Stuart, Isobel, Nessie ( mum), Bill, Isabella and Robert Shiels in front with their favourite dog ( I think her name was Jessie). All of them together. One of the few photos where they were all in one place.
 Medicine Show, Aug 30 1935. Huge show came through that summer in the middle of the Depression. I think he is stunning with the head dress, all handmade...
Victoria, Government Street Wooden bridge, around 1936 ( the date is not for sure). Mum and Dad , newly married, getting ready to go off on the Princess Kathleen for a "cruise".
                  The people are long gone, and I had no idea these photos existed until a few years ago. Now I'm fascinated by them.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment