Monday, June 26, 2017

New Roses. Old Roses.


"But friendship is the breathing rose,
                  with sweets in every fold." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

 The roses have gone crazy.  I replaced about 9 rose bushes and planted about 15 ( I think) Can't quite remember. Just kept planting . And wondering what would take. They're all blooming. They're all surviving.  Woo Hoo!

 "Rose of all Roses, Rose of all the World! 
You, too, have come where the dim tides are hurled. 
Upon the wharves of sorrow, and heard ring 
The bell that calls us on; the sweet far thing "
     .
                                                            -William Butler Yeats
 Biggest thing I changed was I actually fertilized all of the roses. Need to do it again about now, but so far they've been good. I'm not wild about fussing over roses.  So I kept it simple.

Won't you come into the garden? 
 I would like my roses to see you."      Richard Brinsley Sheridan
  This is a new rose: Oklahoma. Dark Dark red. Big petals. 
 This is also new. Rainbow Sorbet.
 This is not a rose. This is Spencer. He sits and admires, when he visits. From his couch. Or his Pot. Or his chair. Notice, I said "his".....We have to share.He sits and watches me fiddle with the flowers.
 
"I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall".
- Eleanor Roosevelt.
New Black Bacarra this year. Other one was bashed by ice. I broke off a piece  that survived , stuck it back in the earth, and it came back. I'm so surprised!
 Climbing roses. Basically thornless. Make great bouquets. 
 To keep it simple I use water soluable fertilizer, Spray with Bobexx ( non toxic deer repellent) and Safer's Soap

 "A profusion of pink roses bending ragged in the rain speaks to me of all gentleness and its enduring" -William Carlos Williams

   Another Kristin Rose    ( new)                                               Mr. Lincoln Rose (new)
                                                             Olahoma (new)
Peace Rose

     "When Love first came to Earth, the Spring spread rose-beds to receive Him" -Thomas Campbell


No comments:

Post a Comment