Thursday, June 29, 2017

Vestigia

 Canada's 150th on July 1st , 2017.  I found a poet I have never heard of.
 This is "Vestigia"  written by Canadian Poet Bliss Carman ( 1861-1929)
 winner of  the Robert Frost Medal. This poem was written in 1919, after a rejuvenating walk in nature . He sought God in the world around him, and was rewarded for his search.  This poem is printed in my favourite book, the 1948 Chicago  "1000 Beautiful Things" ( Best rummage sale find  ever)
 I took a day to search for God, and found Him not. 
 But as I trod by rocky ledge, through woods untamed,
 I saw His footprint in the sod.

 Then suddenly, all unaware, far off in the deep shadows, where a solitary hermit thrush sang through the holy twilight hush......

 I heard His voice upon the air.

 And even as I marvelled how God gives us Heaven here and now,
In a stir of wind that hardly shook the poplar leaves beside the brook....

 His Hand was light upon my brow.
  At last with evening as I turned Homeward, and thought what I had learned
And all that there was still to probe...
 I caught the Glory of His robe where the last fires of Sunset burned.
Back to the world with quickening start I looked and longed for any part 

 In making saving Beauty be.

 And from that kindling ecstasy..
I knew God dwelt within my Heart.

Photographs 2017    "Vestigia" by Bliss Carman (1861-1929) from "1000 Beautiful Things" 1948

No comments:

Post a Comment