Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Quilt as You Go....Double Sash/Binding method

" I'm a material girl – want to see my fabric collection?" -unknown
 QUILT as you Go....Double Sash method
So I've long wanted to another big quilt, but not deal with the bulk when machine quilting. I used to hand quilt all the time, but not anymore. Found a few quilt as you go methods and have decided to try them out and see what I like best.  First one I found was this Sash method. Not sure where I've been all this time, my head under a rock, possibly, but was really excited to find this. This makes a reversible quilt. It's fine, I think, till you get to the binding ( sash) part.....not real crazy about it.  But here it is anyways ( can hardly wait to try the other ways...see if I like them  more)
 First, make a couple of quilt squares. I chose a Sawtooth
 And  a square designed  and named for Princess Charlotte.
 Then cut out a backing for each. I did different material for each.
 Two backings. Two quilt squares. Ready to go.
 Next, grab your flat batting. I chose fusible fleece. ( Mostly cause it was on sale)
 Cut fleece out.
 Layer Back, batting, top together.
 You can pin the layers if you want. Here and there. I find pinning annoying, but one to hold is okay.
 Set your machine for quilting with the walking foot. Make squirly wirly designs.
 Two squares quilted with swirls and wirls. All ready for next step. So far, so good.
 Cut sash ( binding) strips to meet the sides. Don't cut too narrow or it will be difficult.
 Iron the binding. Make a hem on one side if you wish. Some of the quilting sites  wait to do this, but I found it easier.

 Sew BOTH sash bindings to either side of one quilt square. This is fiddly. This is the part I found annoying. It works, but you have to match both sides......
 Open up and sew to other square.
 You might want to trim the edge.. Sew carefully. Tends to get tangled right about now.
 Turn hemmed edge over to sew down. You can also do as a hand hem stitch. Two squares completed. Not fond of the double sash. BUT  it works. Now to try another way.  Another blog I will cover a single sash on the reversible side and seams on the other. Will see how THAT turns out......But still a cool way to quilt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment