Tuesday, September 18, 2018

By the sea

 SEA LONGING - Sara Teasdale (1884-1933) Comes the time of year when the waves roll and the sea crashes. My favourite time...
A thousand miles beyond this sun-steeped wall...
 Somewhere the waves creep cool along the sand
 The ebbing tide forsakes the listless land
 With the old murmur, long and musical:
 The windy waves mount up and curve and fall,
 And round the rocks the foam blows up like snow....
 Tho I am inland far, I hear and know,
 For I was born the sea's eternal thrall.
 I would that I were there and over me
 The cold insistence of the tide would roll,
 Quenching this burning thing men call the Soul,
Then with the ebbing I should drift and be
 Less than the smallest shell along the shoal, Less than the sea-gulls calling to the sea.
"Sea Longing" by Sara Teasdale first published in a collection called Rivers to the Sea in 1915. Teasdale was incredibly lonely near the end of her life, and divorced her husband who was often away on business. In 1918 won the Pulitzer Prize  for her poetry collection " Love Songs."She rekindled a friendship with an old friend, Vachel Linsday, who died in 1931. Teasdale overdosed on sleeping pills , Jan 29 1933,  either by accident or by choice.
Photographs 2018

1 comment:

  1. All the pics are wonderful but the leaves
    Pics are outstanding especially the gold one near top of blog. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete