Friday, September 21, 2018

SEPT 1938---a letter


"Fall has always been my favourite season.The time when everything bursts with its last beauty,as if nature had been saving up all year, for its grand finale..." -Lauren DeStefano ( writer)
Isobel, Isabella Glen, Nessie with Jessie
 SEPT 1938 a letter from my grandmother, Isabella Glen Shiels, to my mother, Nessie,married a year or so,   and living in Victoria, B.C.
Isabella/Robert 1930's

It starts with " Nessie: 90 some odd days till Christmas".....a lot of weddings coming up in the  spring. Edna May got herself engaged, finally, to that Johnson boy. I don't think he knows what hit him.  Your sister, Isobel, made a couple of new dresses with the teaching money she makes now.She's pretty thrifty.How are you and Davy able to make ends meet?  You said he was off for a bit. 

Davy/Nessie

 Stuart ( the youngest brother) has not squandered his money this year. I don't know how he managed that. Maybe that girl friend of his  keeps him sensible.
 He likes living in Regina. No chores to do. He and his friend, Tom, have that apartment. Not much to look at, he says. But he earns enough to feed himself. 
 We could sure use him here.  Willie convinced him to come back till December at least. He went, yesterday,to get him in Regina. Enough for them to do here I wager. For now. Willie will stay on. I think Stuart has NOT given up his idea of roaming.
Stuart/Bill (Willie)

 So hot the other day. A dust storm. Blowing like a banshee.
 Everything dirty. Everything  gritty to the touch. My eyes feel like sandpaper.
 I am glad that you are liking Victoria. You  always wanted to get away. Away from all of this dust and dirt. We manage quite well with the farm hands. They have worked out well.But glad that Stuart and Willie will be back to lend a hand. More mouths to feed,mind you.

 We start early still, like when you were here. Hauling water is too much for me some days, but  believe me, so great to have extra hands  here to do the hauling for me. Gathered less eggs the other day, while Dad tended to the garden. The hens are laying a little less. But we get by. Some people aren't getting any eggs at all. I sent some down to Mr. and Mrs. Laing. She sent back a huge loaf of bread. I think it was  a couple days old. But nevermind. We plan on going to Craven for winter vegetables, and to Regina for fruit.


I have two turkeys I am saving for Christmas. Not far off now.  We can send Willie and Stuart  to pick you up in Regina. You said you got the tickets .Just let us know when....Sure will be good for the both of you.

Haven't been mending and sewing as much as I used to, when you and Isobel were here. But enough. I've made extra soap this year, and will save some to send you home with, when you come in December. For winter I canned beef and pork ( it was nice and fat this year), green beans, tomatoes and a lot of peas. Dad likes peas. So have made sure there will be plenty on hand.

Will still have to clean out the chicken coop today. When Isobel left to teach, she left all those chickens. Just roaming about. So Dad built a proper coop. And today we have to clean out the outhouse. Got us some pure, strong lye to dose it with.  Shouldn't smell after this. Large number of people using it. Will have to clean it when you're here.

 Willie and Stuart just walked by the door. They just got back. They're off to  look over the horses. Sure is good having them home together. Killing the fatted calf next month, to have it ready for when you and Davy get here.

Then we can catch up better. You're old friend, Martha, has decided NOT to marry Dwight . Imagine that! After all that fussing they did this summer. Instead she ran off with her old boyfriend, Tom Laing. Quite the talk there was around here. Mr. and Mrs. Laing are still reeling.  No wonder her bread is stale.  With all this dust and all, have to have something to talk about.....

Now, you write me with the day you and Davy will arrive. Can hardly wait. Everyone home for Christmas.I'll  have to get Dad to  corral the turkeys......Love, Mother


1 comment: