Wednesday, January 9, 2019

FIRST SNOW.....

 "Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people's legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world....."
                                  -Sarah Addison Allen (The Sugar Queen)
 I love the snow. I love winter............
 Yea, I know. Not supposed to say that. I love that magic. Not the shovelling. There is no magic in shovelling.
 It breathes life into the camera. Everything  sings and swirls.
 I may not care to drive in it. Much. But I will stop at the roadside to see the mountains.
 Or trudge into a field just to see snow gather in crystals.
 It defines twigs and makes  birds pop. All the while  dangling and bobbling on branches.
 But my favourite is  snow wafting forlornly. Over the grasses.
 And feed the birds in all sorts of nooks and crannies.
 Under snow covered ferns, still green from the summer.
 Watching the wind whoosh snow from one  to another and back again.
 While juncos perch. Waiting their turn at the feeders.
 Giving wide berth to fat  silly Starlings, who stuff themselves with suet and seeds. Seeds and suet. "More, please..."
 Then squash themselves inside the grape vines.I wonder what they think about the snow.
While the first snow falls. More. Just needs to fall a bit more. In the rain forest......
 "Well, I know now how a simple thing, like a snowfall, can mean to a person...." -Sylvia Plath (Unabridged Journals)
Photographs 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment