Friday, November 8, 2019

1939..............................

 1939 King George VI Christmas Cake
 1939 saw King George and Queen Elizabeth on a tour in Canada. It also saw the rise of a fruitcake recipe fancied by the King. Apparently, my grandmother made it, year after year.   I lost one fruitcake recipe (Shirley's from another blog), but I also misplaced THIS one. I found it recently in  my grandmother's old letter book to my mother, from the 40's. Dark . Rich. Wonderful.......
 "Had a cable from him today at Aldershot. He is in some jam. I sent him $30. His money is in Victory Bonds. Sent him a lovely box of all sorts  $5.75 worth, and socks and underwear. I also had to mail Aunty Barbara  a parcel. But the laugh was on me as I switched address labels. Aunty Barbara got the candy and underwear, and Stuart got the  King's fruitcake I made for Barbara, plus a pound of butter and sugar....."--Isobel Shiels letters, 1940
 RECIPE: Fill LARGE pyrex bowl with the following:
Dates, dark raisins, golden raisins, glace cherries, citrus peel, pecans, walnuts, almonds, cranberries, candied ginger, whatever quantity you wish of each. Pour a bottle of wine over top, or half bottle of whatever is economical. Let soak for a day or two.
Isabella and Robert Shiels 1940
 In the late 30's and 40's my mother kept a journal of expenses. She used to tell me her mother and father were appalled at how expensive city living could be. They were on the farm. My mother was  married,living in Victoria at the time. She vowed never to return to the farm. But she did.,,,during the war years.
sample
 January 5 1939 she spent $32 on all things household. Rent $15, Light $3.99, Shoes $1.00, Dress pattern 30 cents, Groceries $5.00, Smokes $2.00. Jan 20 they went to Vancouver , not for a holiday, but because my father had a hospital appt. It cost $2.00 to stay at a nice hotel.( She also paid the Bay $10.00 for  furniture)
 BEAT TOGETHER: 1 ½ cups butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 ½ cups molasses
 ADD:1 cup strong coffee, Zest and juice of 3 oranges, 
 ADD: 2 tsp allspice, 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cloves, 2 tsp nutmeg 
 ADD:( very important) 3 tbsp COCOA ( to make it dark)
 By Sept 1 1939, Hitler invaded Poland. My mother used to tell me that life continued pretty normal, for the most part. She went to work at the Dockyards. Stuart was off to war in 1940. Their parents  were worried about how to keep the farm going, and needed him to stay and work. My grandmother scrimped and saved to make fruitcakes for Christmas for friends around them.
 My mother said that the surprise of a fruitcake and sugar and butter at Aldershot,  was  like gold. He shared it all round.  I always wondered what his Aunty Barbara thought of the candy and underwear SHE got.
 ADD: 6 eggs, beaten in one at a time.
 Aug 19, 1942 Dieppe. Stuart was shot up pretty bad. He never recovered well from the wounds. He wrote a letter of bravado to his mother and sister. He survived but he did not go home then.
 ADD: 4cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda.
 ADD ALL the FRUIT in BOW, PLUS the wine. Add extra flour if batter is too thin.
 DIVIDE between 10 mini pans and 1 loaf tin, lined with, or whatever pans you like, as long as they are greased and lined with parchment paper.
Isobel, Isabelle Shiels, Nessie ( mum)
 On the farm, life continued on. My grandmother continued to make 1939 King George  fruitcakes.It was her only recipe. I was told she still sent one to Stuart every year . He was a favourite of hers. She wrote to him about the life on the farm. She sent him money. 
 "Tomorrow I am making tomato pickles, crab apples and cucumbers. Dad made us a dinky little chicken house with wood he scavenged. Neighbours are moving to  Trail to see about getting a job.Hens are laying pretty good, but some people aren't getting any eggs at all..."-Isobel Shiels letters 1942
 I met Stuart, once, when he came to Victoria. He was not well, trying to get a new start. He stayed for a while. Talked quietly with my mother. I'm not sure what about. He left  for parts unknown. He came in late fall, November. She had been making fruitcakes. She loaded him up with treats before he left.  I like to imagine she gave him one of the 1939 Christmas cakes that she and my grandmother used to make...... 
 BAKE: 300 degrees about 1 /2 hours. Check often to see if they are baked.
 LET COOL. WRAP in plastic bags. Freeze. Give away.....
                                     George, Elizabeth, Queen Elizabeth, Margaret Rose
Photographs 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment