Tuesday, August 31, 2021

FRANK


"I think Frank is the head and brains of the whole gang..." -Bowling Browder, married to Jesse James' wife's sister....
(2020) Frank, far right, standing next to his wife, Sharon, Michelle and Stephen, front, and our mutual friend, Jeanne , seated.


"This is the Lord High Admiral Kublai Khan: that will be 20 cents ...."
And thus began all phone calls with Frank. For thirty some years. Sometimes he announced himself  as  Prince Phillip. He was hilarious. He once told me he was a descendent of the infamous  Younger brothers who rode with Jesse and Frank James. The outlaws dissolved their partnership in 1876.  

Frank was anything but an outlaw. He was a good man. He belonged to the Club "The James Younger Gang".  It wasn't on my radar. He wanted me to write. I wouldn't have thought  of it. But it was Frank asking. "Write for us, he said. Write for our Journal . Food is good. Write about food."  So I  did. And I still will. Cause Frank asked. 
An Astronomer at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory (Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics). He made telescope as well as watching the skies. He photographed everything and anything. Our emails included photos that we had taken. Photos we shared. We  discussed them at length. He lived a life full of colour and amazement at everything.
I first met Frank, and his family, when I was a student. I  went with his family to Vancouver  to a Suzuki violin conference. His kids all took violin. I used to teach them.We stayed in rooms near the Hotel Vancouver where we could hear the traffic roar by in the wee hours. His wife brought several wrapped loaves in her suitcase. Orange pumpkin bread. I can still smell the spice and pumpkin as she cut them up and handed out thick slices. Devoured in an afternoon.
We played at the Orpheum that weekend.  All together.  the stage gleaming gold, it was like being in a movie. Frank waited for us, to make sure he met up with us afterwards to walk back to the hotel. To keep us safe.
He told silly stories to the kids waiting to go on stage. Stage fright  averted, they were able to perform, because Frank  made them feel better. He applauded everyone.
He knew what it was like to perform..... a violinist for years.A good violinist. He had played in many orchestras and quartets and loved them all.  
To have Frank as your stand partner meant that it was going to be a good concert. You would not be bored. He made everyone feel good around him. He liked  to tell stories about his ancestors, when we should have been playing.....
"They were brave fellows....they were true men.There was not a coward or a liar amongst them.." -Frank James about the Younger brothers, 1901
In the latter years I realized  Frank wrote poetry. Tons of it. He read  at conferences to  enthralled audiences. Stories that held people in the palm of his hand. 
No wonder the Young Gang Club loved to have him speak. 
He used to tell  me about his antique gun collection and the stories connected to each piece. Then afterwards he would ride his Harley down by the ocean . It was pure joy.
He was a mentor. A friend. A truly great man. Kind. Very real. A gentle man.
In some moments I wonder just exactly what DID we talk about for over 30 years. Sometimes it's all a blur. Sometimes I remember every word. A good man.
And then in my memory  I hear him answer the phone, " Lord high Kublai Khan, 20 cents please..." and I remember how it always made me laugh. . I told him  , that last time, last week, he should up his rates to 30 cents. And he laughed........
"I am a bonded highwayman. Younger is my name...."

                                          -Cotton Davis Woodville , 1941

Photographs 2021

 

1 comment:

  1. That man will be missed by many people. He would always lend an ear, and an answer. Our annual meeting via Zoom was not the same. The empty chair. I will miss him. Michelle, you have done a beautiful tribute to Frank. From the Gang, I Thank You. - Danny Urban

    ReplyDelete