Wednesday, August 17, 2022

GREEN STUFF

"The cactus thrives in the desert, while the fern thrives in the wetland..." -Vera Nazarian

So it’s almost the end of fall.  Getting antsy about the change of seasons. Love fall. I even like winter.  Makes for some great pics when it snows. This time of year I just had to  plant something.  Something that LASTS. Some “green stuff” .

My mother had the same affliction. Edgy near the end of August. Fall looming.  Time to plant . But in her case, she wanted to BURN stuff. She’d dress in her engineer overalls, look for matches and get ready to torch stuff. She’d rip out plants with great glee.

These past few weeks, I ripped out all of the spent flower pots. I took great delight in  giving them a good thrashing, as I stuffed them into  compost bags. 


My mother liked to do the same thing with fire. She was renowned in the neighbourhood for her fires. She waited till she could get her permit, and then it was all hands on deck.

She’d make a pile of old flowers, branches, twigs, etc. at the back of our lot, set fire to the bunch.Then “Boom”. Flames danced. I’m not sure what she put on the pile to make it burn, but it sure worked great.  I think she singed her eyebrows once or twice. She kept adding to the fire. She’d stay out there, alone, keeping watch. Until the neighbours gathered.

The only thing I watched  this year, was for a deal on ferns. I was going to dig them out of the greenhouse, but  kind of impossible. So it was whatever I could find leftover at the garden store. The stuff that no one wants. The stuff that is marked down.  One tray left. $4 for the tray.Tassel ferns, Japanese painted ferns, hardy Holly ferns. Up to my eyeballs in ferns.

This year, I also planted “Lipstick Strawberries” in pots. Green. They make nice little berries. Provided deer don’t take a hankering to them.  I don’t mind if they do.   I got a flat for about $3. Enough to fill some empty troughs and pots. 

My mother didn’t replant with ferns. She stuck lettuce in the porch pots where she grew geraniums. Lettuce plants leftover from the corner garden store which shut down over the winter. 

And she’d tend to her fire at the back of the lot. It seemed to burn for about a week. Give or take. The neighbours came by with coffee and sticky buns.  They had chairs. They’d sit in the dusk and “Chew the fat”, as  some were want to say.

Once she tossed into a couple of the plant pots , by accident. They  made a horrible smell and she had to fish them out, with her rake. Everyone applauded.  Pots were all scarred and half melted.  The fire burned on. The neighbours  talked late into the night, keeping my mother company.

When they had all gone home,  my mother still held the hose. She’d sit there till almost morning.  Then she’d wake me up and I’d have to sit there with the hose, while she had a break……

Some nights she   threw grass clippings on her  fire. She was an avid lawn mower. Neighbours oohed and ahhhed at the display.

The grass didn’t so much burn. Twigs underneath popped and snapped.  Everyone told stories, and passed the thermos of coffee.

My mother  wasn’t too keen on the lettuce she planted. Discovered it was cheaper to buy it in the stores. So the lettuce found its way to the fire . One by one. Poof. Burned up. Eventually the fire died out. 

This year,  I  got tired of stuff dying in the rain, burning up in a heat dome, or  eaten by ginormous slugs.  Ferns and strawberries seem to  last  in pots. I ‘ve had some growing that way for years. They come back after a hard winter, bigger and better. They even lasted the heat dome from last year.   Not sure why I didn’t  figure it out sooner.

 So there should be lots of  green this year.  I’ve left a few pots for the geraniums I’m over wintering this year, like my mother used to.  I  have 24 ready to go inside, in a week or so. Every year they sit on their window sills , in the sun, and long for spring.

 For years and years my mother saved geraniums . It was her mission. A few she kept in the dining room. Some she put into mason jars full of water and left on the downstairs window wells.  I found skads, after I cleared out the house when she was gone. 

I collected as many as I could , into one jar to take with me. For years  they lived again in the summer. And every year I save geraniums I am reminded of her. I remember the fire she tended, and the people who sat with her.

I can still hear their voices talking low, late into the  cool fall night, crickets chirping  in the dark, and the gush of the green stuff……

Photographs 2022
                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment