Monday, August 1, 2022

JELLY DONUTS move MOUNTAINS

"I am the wanderer and wandering is my destiny." -Avijeet Das

In the middle of summer, when it was hot in town,  was usually the time my mother liked to escape to our old cabin at Sooke.  We’d take the old Dodge and potter off to the beach, stopping in  at a farm market. We always got a HUGE bag of jelly donuts, potatoes and great big slabs of steak. 

Off we’d drive to Sooke with our purchases  tucked safely on the back seat.  Once there, out came the Coleman stove. My mother pumped it up till it  would  almost explode, then she’d light the flame and start boiling potatoes, till the skin burst. Next came the iron skillet. She’d fry up each steak , one at a time, till they were good and dead and crispy. “Slather on the ketchup”, she’d say.   We’d eat steak and potatoes on the old deck, while watching the tide roll into shore. 

One time, my mother wanted to  have an adventure; to go home a different route. Up and over the mountain instead of straight thru. The car packed up, she put the bag of jelly donuts on the back seat. “We’ll have them  when we stop for gas,” she said.

And off we went to find the mountain.  My mother  figured she could eyeball it, as it loomed ahead of us.  She picked a side road and started up.  The old Dodge complained bitterly as it squealed along.

We went up and up. The road turned to gravel. Up and Up and Up. The old car complained. I complained. The hole in the floorboard broke apart. Pieces peeled off onto the  road below. 

And there was my mother,  perched on three cushions, so she could see over the steering wheel, her driving glasses slightly askew, her bare feet just reaching the pedals, her hands fiercely gripping the wheel. She told me to look for a cow farm, she knew it was somewhere  near the top. Up and Up and Up……

There were cows. Highland cattle roaming here and there. The gravel road ended at a copse of trees. We stopped. My mother  left the car, and clamoured over an embankment. She left the engine running cause she said the car sounded “iffy”. She stood on the edge trying to see thru the trees. She forgot her shoes.

“I can’t see anything” she  yelled back. I sighed and joined her , leaving the doors open to the hot sticky, old car.  The two of us stood on the embankment, surrounded by trees, trying to see where we were.  My mother  figured she should have taken a different road and wanted to turn back and try again. I wanted to go home.

There was movement in the car, when we returned.  
Three fat raccoons  in the back seat. Helping themselves to the dozen or so jelly donuts we had bought earlier.  Powdered sugar all over their faces and claws.  They  greedily  stuffed themselves. They made chirrring noises.  They were happy.  We sat back on the embankment. Waiting and watching.

Then my mother remembered she left the car running…… 

One of  the raccoons must have nudged something inside the car, cause the old Dodge began to roll backwards. My mother started screaming. The raccoon started dancing excitedly on the front seat.  The Dodge happily plowed into the wood fence behind. 

That fence was good and solid.  The car hit hard, and  slid into the ditch. My mother screamed some more. The raccoons, full of powdered sugar and jelly, hightailed it for the trees. The farmer, out looking at his cattle, came over to see what the hub bub was about. My mother gave him $30  to help get the car out of the ditch.

We limped  all the way  back to the main highway, some 45 minutes away.  It exploded somewhere under the hood, black smoke pouring out like  witches brew. 

 People stared. I slid down in the seat so no one could see me. That sticky, powdery Jelly Donut seat……

My mother, perched on her three cushions, put on a brave face.  It was about 45 minutes to home and she drove that thing all thru town, revving the motor at each intersection, while holding her bare foot on the brake. Smoking and wheezing it finally made it home.

 The old Dodge died. Finally and completely. It never moved again. We gave up on Jelly donuts for a while…….

My mother  lamented the fact  she never did find that road. She wanted to stand on top  and see the world……to feel like she was flying with the wind….

Photographs 2022

 

No comments:

Post a Comment